During an interview this morning with KROQ’s Kevin & Bean, frontman Chris Cornell world premiered a new Soundgarden track titled “Live to Rise.” The single is one of 15 songs on the forthcoming Avengers Assemble soundtrack also featuring Bush, Evanescence, Rise Against, Papa Roach and Buckcherry among others.
It’s been more than 15 years since fans have tasted new music from the Seattle foursome.
“We’ve been working on a new album for a while and it’s taken a while because we’ve ended up touring a few times in the middle of writing it and recording it… We’re pretty much done with that. We’re at the mixing stage of it and then this idea came up that we’d contribute a song for the Avengers film and so it’s actually the newest song that we have… let’s take a song we’ve been working on for the album… but none of them were really right, which happens sometimes, so we thought, let’s do another one. That’s the beauty of it.”
After listening to the world premiere of his song over the phone, Cornell commented, “…this never stops freaking me out, that this was written so recently and recorded recently, like last week… I barely remember it it happened so fast. And now I’m hearing it coming over a phone.”
Directed by Joss Whedon, Avengers Assemble stars a whole host of A-listers including Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner and Samuel L. Jackson.
Avengers Assemble tracklist
- “Live to Rise” – Soundgarden
- ”I’m Alive” – Shinedown
- “Dirt and Roses” – Rise Against
- “Even If I Could” – Papa Roach
- “Unbroken” – Black Veil Brides
- “Breath” – Scott Weiland
- “Comeback” – Redlight King
- “Into the Blue” – Bush
- “A New Way to Bleed” – Evanescence
- “Count Me Out” – Pusherjones
- “Shoot to Thrill” – Theory of a Deadman
- “Wherever I Go” – Buckcherry
- “From Out of Nowhere” – Five Finger Death Punch
- “Shake the Ground” – Cherri Bomb
- Additional track available on the international release:
- “Pistols At Dawn” – Kasabian
Avengers Assemble soundtrack is available may 1, followed by the theatrical release May 4.
Soundgarden’s forthcoming album is due this fall.