Marilyn Manson Premieres “No Reflection,” First Single From Upcoming Album Born Villian
[pullquote quote="It sounds like the first record in that it's not afraid to do anything." credit="Marilyn Manson"]“The new record put simply has the ambition and determination of how I started making music in the first place,” Manson says. “It sounds like the first record in that it’s not afraid to do anything. I had to remove myself from my lifestyle and start fresh.”
“It doesn’t really sound like any of my old records,” Manson says in an upcoming Revolver magazine cover story. “In fact it sort of sounds like what I listened to before I made records — Killing Joke, Joy Division, Revolting Cocks, Bauhaus, Birthday Party… It’s very rhythm-driven. I think this will probably be the grandest concept record of all.”
The latest sound and vision from Manson have twists few of us saw coming. For example, the short film/teaser for Born Villian was created by an unlikely teaming of Manson and Shia LeBeouf.
According to MTV, the pair met at a Kills concert where LaBeouf, a longtime Manson fan, casually approached him and struck up a conversation that sparked a genuine friendship.
“Marilyn Manson to me is an indelible figure,” LaBeouf told MTV News, speaking exclusively about the collaboration for the first time. “He’s a big deal to me, and in my childhood, I don’t know of a [pullquote quote="He, in my teenage years, was the scariest thing in the world, so part of me has always been intrigued." credit="Shia LeBeouf"]scarier figure in art. He, in my teenage years, was the scariest thing in the world, so part of me has always been intrigued.”
LaBeouf told Manson that he would love to direct his next video and showed him his previous work, Cage’s “Maniac” clip (see below), as proof that he knows what he’s doing behind the camera.
“I played ‘Maniac’ for [Manson], and he freaked the f— out,” LaBeouf recalled. “Manson goes crazy. Manson’s like, ‘I want you to do my video.’ “
LeBeouf proceeded to direct the Manson short film/trailer seen here. (Note, this film, if rated, would be R and is not safe for work. As such, do not watch it in mixed company.)
[pullquote quote="This, for me, this is a really cool diversion." credit="Shia LeBeouf"]“This, for me, this is a really cool diversion for me when I’m not making a movie,” LaBeouf explained. “It gives me an opportunity to work with musicians I admire who I would otherwise never get to work with in any other capacity. I really have a fun time doing it. It allows me to be creative in another art form and work with heroes.”
The single, “No Reflection,” will be available on iTunes Tuesday, March 13th while the album Born Villain hits stores May 1st.
North American Tour Schedule
- Wed 04/11/12 Los Angeles, CA Club Nokia
- Fri 04/27/12 Providence, RI Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel
- Sat 04/28/12 Hampton Beach, NH Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom
- Sun 04/29/12 Huntington, NY The Paramount
- Tue 05/01/12 Silver Spring, MD The Fillmore Silver Spring
- Wed 05/02/12 Montclair, NJ Wellmont Theatre
- Fri 05/04/12 Atlantic City, NJ House Of Blues
- Sat 05/05/12 Pittsburgh, PA Stage AE
- Sun 05/06/12 Grand Rapids, MI Orbit Room
- Tue 05/08/12 West Des Moines, IA Val Air Ballroom
- Wed 05/09/12 Sioux Falls, SD W.H. Lyon Fairgrounds
- Fri 05/11/12 Dallas, TX Palladium Ballroom
- Sat 05/12/12 San Antonio, TX Sunken Garden Amphitheatre
- Sun 05/13/12 Houston, TX House Of Blues
- Tue 05/15/12 Oklahoma City, OK Diamond Ballroom
- Wed 05/16/12 Kansas City, MO Uptown Theater
- Fri 05/18/12 Minneapolis, MN The Brick
- Sat 05/19/12 Milwaukee, WI The Rave Eagles Club
- Appearing at “Rock On The Range” / Rob Zombie
- Sun 05/20/12 Columbus, OH Crew Stadium
Directed by Shia LaBeouf
Starring Scott Mescudi & Chris Palko
Music & Score by Scott Mescudi & Dot Da Genius
A Grassy Slope & Ragin4Dayz Production in Association with Dilated Pixels
Executive Produced by Scott Mescudi & Shia LaBeouf
Produced by Jeff Balis, T.J. Sakasegawa, Rhoades Rader
NOTE: This film is NSFW.