KROQ Weenie Roast y Fiesta 2017: Lorde, Incubus, Imagine Dragons, and more on Saturday, May 20 at StubHub Center. Tickets are now SOLD OUT!

Lana Del Rey On SNL, Haters, & Her Hair In First Radio Interview And On-Air Performance

[pullquote quote=”What people have to say about me–the really amazing things and the really terrible things–none of them are true. “]”You’re so nice. Why is everyone so mean to you?,” posed Kevin and Bean to the flaxen-haired Lana Del Rey who donned “lots of extensions”–which they complimented.

“It’s not everyone. It’s not everyone,” repeated the “polarizing” singer in a rare radio interview this morning.

Decked out in cool, urban New York chic, Del Rey evoked the “gangster” side of her “gangster Nancy Sinatra,” a label which has followed her since the internet explosion of “Video Games” in 2011.

In fact, the sultry-voiced Del Rey’s career has been nothing but appropriated labels since she became one of the biggest indie memes of a generation.

Her name change from Lizzy Grant has garnered criticism, despite multitudes of other stars like Lady Gaga doing the same. Her face and body have been snarked upon for what seems like radical changes, but in person seems as minor as a change in hair color. Her initial fame floated tenuously on a cloud of Internet approval–making her the prime target for anonymous cyber attacks.

Which, as Kevin and Bean mentioned, is probably one of the first blatant examples of such in the music sphere. Throughout all this, Del Rey has kept herself shrouded in an aura of mystery, an innate gift that actually points to her strength in the face of criticism and not her perceived fragility.

[pullquote quote=”The internet right now is creating their own person for themselves to play with. “]But, maybe it’s that exact elusive nature mixed with an eloquent self-confidence that makes Del Rey so hated and, yet, so loved by fellow “artists” at the same time.

While the “Video Games” singer told Kevin and Bean she’s not a “polarizing” personality, her contradictory nature, and her embracing of such as “normal,” is what makes her art so special.

“Mine is an unusual situation because I’m not naturally a polarizing or controversial person,” Del Rey elucidated. “And what I sing about is actually pretty balanced, pretty normal. What people have to say about me–the really amazing things and the really terrible things–none of them are true. I have nothing to do with what people say.”

So when Del Rey replies in what could be perceived as a snobbish way, that Kevin and Bean “probably can’t imagine” what she has gone through, she’s right: No one artist has immediately been torn apart piece by piece while subsequently rising to success as fast as Lana Del Rey. And all through the medium of the internet.

[pullquote quote=”I have nothing to do with what people say.”]”The internet right now is creating their own person for themselves to play with. And that’s their prerogative. But, for me, I’ve been an artist for a long time; I’ve been a writer since I was seven…I can’t do much else.”

Video Games

Del Rey’s album, Born To Die, which came out at the end of January, has sold about 900,000 copies and the star has spent her last months “focusing on a trilogy of videos,” touring Europe, and finishing the record “quickly” with her composers and “production team.”

lana del rey kevin bean 12 Lana Del Rey On SNL, Haters, & Her Hair In First Radio Interview And On Air Performance

“I wrote every word on my album,” Del Rey asserts. “There isn’t nothing that I didn’t write.”

None of which fit any specific musical format on American radio. Del Rey claimed that she “never had too much luck with radio,” but that in Europe they play songs that wouldn’t seem radio ready–like the longest track on her album–“all day, every day.”

[pullquote quote=”I wrote every word on my album…There is nothing that I didn’t write.”]”Europe is completely different than America,” said the singer. “You can have a whole different life there–which I do around the world. I mean, when I go to Paris and Milan and when I’m in London, you know, I live a really different life.”

Which, according to Del Rey, is how Lorne Michaels from Saturday Night Live first heard her–from her fame overseas.

Despite having a number one track in “eleven countries” and being involved in music since a young age, Del Rey was perceived as the delicate new girl on the block.

In fact, she told Kevin and Bean that she is completely ready for success, live performances, and that she likes her highly-criticized Saturday Night Live performance. Del Rey has no regrets.

lana del rey kevin bean 5 Lana Del Rey On SNL, Haters, & Her Hair In First Radio Interview And On Air Performance

[pullquote quote=”I personally liked my performance. I like what I do. I like how I sing. I’m just a little bit freaky.”]”For me, it’s not like it’s something somebody pushed me into and I’m not ready for whatever,” elaborated Del Rey. “I personally liked my performance. I like what I do. I like how I sing. I’m just a little bit freaky…I learned in my, what seems like a very long life, I make really good decisions. I made a good decision to say yes to that show because I was ready and I don’t usually regret anything I do. I liked my performance.”

Blue Jeans

[pullquote quote=”If you don’t like how I sing onstage, it’s just not your thing. “]”I’ve never really had it easy in that regard in terms of people just letting things fly. So this is nothing new to me,”said Del Rey, earlier saying, “If you don’t like how I sing onstage, it’s just not your thing.”

But there are people who truly love Del Rey, to the point of tearful obsession. Del Rey said she “thinks” it’s her authenticity that resonates with her fans.

lana del rey kevin bean 2 Lana Del Rey On SNL, Haters, & Her Hair In First Radio Interview And On Air Performance

[pullquote quote=”I never compromise with anything that I do in my life–not lyrically, not in reality.”]”I think maybe what people who like me like about me is the fact that I really believe in myself and what I do and I never compromise with anything that I do in my life–not lyrically, not in reality,” explained Del Rey.

“I think the people who sort of feel like they know me, know me from my lyrics, and I think that they feel what I write about is what really went down and how I really feel about it,” the singer continued. “I never say anything just to rhyme over sugary pop songs. I really care about documenting my life in a musical fashion. So, I think, people that like me are actually artists.”

An “artist” that can easily create the identity of their “make-believe” idols in their head? Whether intentionally or not, Del Rey seemed to be pointing at the concept of “art for art’s sake” rather than as a definitive representation of reality, a reality that people can comfortably understand.

[pullquote quote=”And I really have done everything that I said I did do. I think the kids know that. The rest is just a story that somebody else made up. “]Within the acknowledged artifice of the entertainment world, there is an intrinsic reality to Del Rey’s art. Even if it makes people feel uncomfortable.

“By the very definition of authentic, it means you are real,” said Del Rey. “And I really have done everything that I said I did do. I think the kids know that. The rest is just a story that somebody else made up.”

Buy Lana Del Rey’s Born To Die on iTunes.

Comments

1. Elisa says:

People who claim she’s fake has a strange notion of realness. Maybe it’s me growing up in Europe but I think privacy and keeping things for oneself is a healthy behaviour – she has the right to choose what she wants us to perceive. I consider her as an artist over an entertainer, you learn more about her from her lyrics and melodies she makes than her interviews. Katy Perry, Rihanna, Beyonce.. are entertainers, good songs (written by team of writers), good personnality but the songs generally lack meaning, just nice rhymes.

2. manny says:

Her interview made her look like a art snob, but that performance was “AMAZING.” Is she forever duck face?

3. Jeremy says:

I was on Bean’s side until I heard this interview … in person she sounds like just the worst.

4. SeacrestHater says:

She’s frick’n 25 and acts like shes been around and knows everything like a 40 year vet. She comes off extremely arrogant and snobby. If she’s so big in Europe then please go back.

5. cmo says:

dude she is hot and has an amazing voice.
    Interview seemed snarky in spots but what artist doesnt love themselves?
    The ones who dont, take their lives…

6. steve says:

Ms. “del rey” changed her name because her first attempt bombed. Madonna and lady gaga changed their names before they did anything not after they swung and missed the ball. Maybe her lyrics are deep but i cannot get past the fact that she is horribly boring and her video games song is slow and dull. I give anyone props for being confident but she does sound a bit full of herself.

1. sixx says:

afaik, madonna never changed her name, she sang in a couple of new wave bands before going solo and became just madonna, her birth name. If you say Lana del rey ‘first attempt’ bombed, so did Lady gaga who let go of her birth name and did adopt a stage name, a whole new image and revamped her old songs after getting a major label. It’s like norma Jean when became marilyn monroe, Stefani became Lady Gaga and Lizzy Grant became Lana del Rey, I don’t know why is such a crime to get a career makeover, a new name, a new persona. When struggling artists / bands do this sort of stuff, doesn’t necessarily mean they failed to succeed, perhaps they went unnoticed in the scene, didn’t reach the mainstream, it is all a matter of marketing. Sometimes the new name or a new hair color just give bettter luck… don’t hate

7. I thought legally you had to declare when you were paid to publish something. This is pure spin, pure hype and it make me sad KROQ wasted time and webspace on this.

1. Nadia Noir says:

Hello. There was no intention of “hype” or “spin.” No one was paid to promote her.

As the writer of this piece, I was merely using my own personal observations, research, and the content of her Kevin & Bean interview to create a feeling about LDR.

I’ve been to your site and read the concert reviews. One might argue it’s the same thing.

If you don’t like the way I constructed the story, blame me, not KROQ.

Thanks, as always, for all your feedback on our stories! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. “Iโ€™ve been to your site and read the concert reviews. One might argue itโ€™s the same thing.”

I’ll refrain from jumping into LDR ranting, but this statement furrowed my brow. A positive review of a concert – one that probably involves purchasing a ticket in the first place – does not imply being paid to write it…that would negate any integrity that said website would have. That’s a nebulous argument at best.

As someone who writes in a similar fashion to Mr. Justito, this bothered me.

2. Upon re-reading this comment above, there’s a chance I misread the “argue it’s the same thing” part – were you saying that the process used to compose this LDR article is similar to reviewing a concert? If so, I retract the other comment.

3. Just for my own knowledge, which reviews of ours would you (or one) argue are hype and spin? I ask as we are a site made by fans, ran by fans for the fans. All of our reviews and stories come from consumers of music and not from a major corporation who find themselves in a fortunate position to shape the opinion of the simple minded masses.

What upset me about this piece is that it does not feel as if you wrote an observational piece as much as you cut and pasted the spin machine to further push a product (that I took a lot of shit in defending late last year) that many have spoken out/turned against. But here is where things get rather interesting.

I decided to Google some of your more cringe-worthy lines. Want to know what I discovered? I discovered this article from a radio station in Chicago posted today that claims to have been written by Zack Nechvatal.

Now, upon further review, this is your article. Same photos, same words (slightly edited) but in Chicago they are playing it off as if some dude name Zack wrote it. So what’s the true story here? Did a fellow employee of CBS Radio rip you off, or is there more to the story?

Fact is, you are a hype machine, this is a hype piece and my research indicates that you guys have the brutal task of hyping a fake artist that America watched crash and burn. It would be nice if you said that in the article instead of lying to us.

Off my soap box, back to being the voice of fans across the world.

Reverend Justito
        concertconfessions.com

4. Cody Black says:

This piece was syndicated out to all of our sister stations throughout the US. Zack is the webmaster at that station, which is why his name appears on the by-line. If you do some more “researching,” you’ll see that many of our posts get syndicated across the nation because we’re fortunate enough to have stellar content coming through our doors all the time.

If you don’t like Lana, that’s cool, but don’t try and bash on our writers for the opinions they express in their posts. Believe it or not, some people DO like her.

5. Nadia Noir says:

Cheese Sandwich- Yes to your second comment. Thank you for understanding my meaning.

Reverend Justito- Glad you could get that off your chest. I’m glad the world is full of passionate people like you who aren’t afraid to express their opinions in a creative medium no matter how much negativity might come their way. Like me. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. To respond to Cory I am well aware that stories on KROQ get posted on your sister stations. I grew up first with KOME and then Live 105 up in the Bay Area and we got plenty of news from you back in the day. I also understand you are standing up for your co-worker/company and respect that as well.

What angers me is the practices of your parent company CBS. Imagine being a kid in Chicago who went to that site and read that article. You are not only deceiving him, you are doing Nadia a great disservice by having Zack put his name on her piece. Can he not at the very end of the article make a note saying this article was written by Nadia Noir for KROQ in Los Angeles? Do you see why I blast this as hype?

I can see from your Facebook page and from this page that the reactions of LDR are mixed. Like I mentioned before, I like the song Video Games, but lost all respect after the hype machine blew up in her face. I just remember a day and an age where KROQ was groundbreaking. When you were the first in the US to play real bands like Oasis and No Doubt. It’s clear judging by the comments here and on Facebook that many of your fans do not like this music. So why do you continue to defend it? It seems to me that it’s not about breaking new and exciting artists as much as it’s about a payday. Imagine if you devoted the time you spent on Lana Del Rey on an artist like Every Time I Die? I use them as an example because when you shared details on them this week you had 39 likes and the only negative comments were fans saying please don’t ruin this great band by playing them to death.

So really all I ask for is a lil honesty, a lil respect for your fans. I know you have it in you to be the powerful groundbreaking force I idolized from 400 miles away as a kid. To quote Rob Schneider in The Waterboy – YOU CAN DO IT!

7. 4sooth says:

Why the hell is KROQ dealing with her at all? Her music sucks and I don’t think I’ve even heard her played on that station. That’s the bigger question. There are a lot more talented artists K&B could have spent their time on I think.

8. john says:

BOW to both of these performances. Her live vocals have improved SO much. LOVE Lana x

9. VampireHorde says:

Yeah, uh-huh, it’s OUR fault that she has a bad stage presence and singing style. It’s OUR fault that we think she’s a fake. *Rolls eyes*

10. friends says:

she performance was really good. However, it does remind me of Phoebe’s performance on FRIENDS when she that “sexy phlem”.

11. caiosun4 says:

I like her and I think that at this point people are just repeating what they’ve read in some blog without thinking. She released an album under the name Lizzie Grant a.k.a Lana Del Rey. The name was there so what’s the big deal? It’s an artist name. It’s really impressive that this generation who loves Britney, Madonna, Lady Gaga and other manufectured pop singers can’t accept an artist if they think she is “fake”. It doens’t make any sense.

12. Guillermo says:

So many quotation marks! >_<

13. Ariana says:

I don’t care what people say about her or any preconceived notions…in this interview she sounds like such a snob. it’s gross.

“You made this video?”
    “obivously.”
    gtfo.

14. I am a photographer and had the pleasure of photographing Lana about 6 different times in the last week at the Chateau marmont in los angeles.She is as an artist that is really unique and amazing to me. i enjoy her songs and style- she is not the usual pop rock singer everyone is used to, she is a new type or even a revolutionary style. I recently watched her performance on SNL and think that the two versions on those songs were the best versions ive heard her do live.
    The people who are critisizing her performance on SNL are not used to real talent!
    I am a songwriter as well and, her songwriting is as unique and great and the best to come around for decades.i think in time her style will be more accepted and mainstream. She will be around for a long long time thats for sure!

15. Alanah says:

Haters are gonna hate but we all know Lana truly is brilliant. Who cares if she does’t get every night perfect, who does? Just because she’s not a boy band made up of a load of idiots doesn’t mean she should be disliked for singing about life. She doesn’t sing pointless things, she sings in relation to everyone in a certain way.

16. Lance says:

Conflict and controversy come from two humans unsatisfied with distribution. What does she have that you want? Kevin and Bean are lucky dogs to have met her. Her beauty drew me in, but there is more. Like a deluxe album, got that one too.

17. JPants says:

I wouldn’t say she’s “revolutionary” in her style. It’s certainly not a new sound we haven’t heard before. Vocally, she’s got a Tori Amos/Fiona Apple-esque vibe going on, which isn’t horrible. However, I had never heard of her before I turned the radio on the other morning and heard this interview. Without knowing a thing about her, her music, where she came from, what other people were saying about her, 2 minutes in I already disliked her. I thought she sounded rude, conceited, condescending, and just plain bratty. She was not the least bit humble, which is what I think a lot of people respond to. Then I google searched her, and watched some interviews…she’s horrible. Obviously.

1. Sami says:

Agreed.

18. Sami says:

I wanted to be on her side… I really did, but her interview didn’t help. I’m not saying she needs me to like her, but she sounded elitist to me. She came off as a bit of a snob. Oh well, maybe it was an off day for her.

19. Alex says:

Not feelin’ it. Not feelin’ it at all.

20. zii.im says:

I actually have achieved an awesome health stage by eating pure protein bars together with p90x,
    however I do consider any protein bars would have accomplished the job as well.