KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas: SOLD OUT. Win floor tickets to both nights next week

Let’s Make A Playlist Together!

Sometimes there is so much music out there and different sources to discover music, that I fear some things slip through the crack.

Luckily, I have a pretty good system for making sure I don’t miss anything. KROQ, Local’s Only, Spotify, blogs…you know, the essentials.

So, I started a playlist for January 2012. Some old, some new, some in between. However, while I was crafting this playlist, I realized I wanted to collaborate with my friends and KROQ listeners and see if together, we can blow the roof off of other playlists.

I think we can.

So, here are some of my songs, and I would love it if you can throw in some of yours and that way, together, we rock out all the while spreading the joy of music all over this biatch.

Let’s go!

Like I said, these are just songs that I have been listening to lately. Some of them just floated my way at the right time and some of them have been around for a hot minute, yet something about them works for me in this very moment. Some, are merely on a test run.

Please add like 2 or 3 of your own that my ears can chew on for a bit.

CLICK ON THE SONG TITLE TO LISTEN.

What I need is more rock. Like the kind with balls. The kind that offends mothers and get’s your blood boiling.

I am very excited to see what you all post!

Thanks guys!

Videos to accompany my playlist

Comments

1. Frankie D says:

I remember when KROQ used to play a variety of music like those songs on Nicole’s playlist. (Sigh.)

I really like “It’s Complicated” by A Day To Remember. Also, Volbeat has a new album that’s pretty good.

1. Thank you dear Frankie!!!!

2. I got your rock for ya.

I first suggest you look to the two biggest reunions at Coachella. At The Drive-In and REFUSED. Let’s go with the tracks “Arcarsenal” and “New Noise” respectfully.

From there, I suggest we go back to the 90’s for some serious post hardcore/fuzz rock. I am talking the 1-2-3 punch of Failure, Hum and Jawbox. Let’s go with “Leo”, “Suicide Machine” and “Savory”

Oh and throw on anything by Mastodon and wrap up this brief mix with something from the Deftones last record. Perhaps “Have You Seen The Butcher”?

1. Yo Rev ! GREAT stuff. We are on the same rock with balls page. I got ll these on lock down. Let’s make it our mission to find songs like THAT today. Newer stuff. Where is the great rock? Dammit let us find it! Aaaaaaaaaaand go!
      XOXO

1. But that is the problem – we don’t have stuff like that today. Sadly most of that stuff has been watered down with Hot Topic piercings and insta-sleeve bands who I won’t bother to name. Granted they are not “new” but how about some Every Time I Die or Between The Buried and Me?

2. Blackout | KROQ.com says:

3. Mark says:

Hyena Motorcade (www.facebook.com/hyenamotorcade)

Openers (direct support) for Bow Wow Wow at the Coach House this Saturday night.

Here is the newest single, “Heartbreaks” from Spotify

Hyena Motorcade is often compared to Psychedelic Furs. John Ashton of the Psychedelic Furs is currently in talks with the band to possibly produce their debut full length CD release in 2012

4. call it what you want by foster the people, not your fault awolnation, if I had a gun – noel gallagher & the high flying birds

5. Ylari says:

Avenged Sevenfold – So far away
    Van Halen – Tattoo

1. A fellow lover of loud rock! Thank you!

6. John Smith says:

you want something to offend moms?

check out Motionless In White : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vov0yT7qnVI

1. My mom in particular : ) Thank you!

7. Brittany G says:

The Black Keys- “Sister”

Billy Talent- “Line and Sinker”

Trice- “Deadbolt”

AFI- “The Leaving Song, Pt. 2”
    🙂

8. Jason says:

As Tall As Lions: “In Case of Rapture” off the album “You Can’t Take it With You.” I know this song is from 2009 but if you didn’t hear it then, now is as good a time as any.

The Dear Hunter “Tripping in Triplets” from the “Blue EP” as part of their full release “The Color Spectrum” from 2011.

Tune-Yards “Bizness” off their release “WHOKILL” from 2011. This is the most interesting song and one of the best albums I have ever heard.

9. L.E.Sideburns says:

If you’re talking balls in your face i recommend THATS RIGHT by UK band THE CHAPS check it out here http://www.myspace.com/thechaps/music/songs/that-rsquo-s-right-3001716

A classic i hadn’t heard in a while that is essential BLACK FLAG – RISE ABOVE

And how about some thing new from THE TRANSPLANTS. Those guys are in the lab right now – get your paws on an exclusive somehow!!!

Peace out.

10. Irwin says:

Play some 80’s music n especially metal. I wanna hear Megadeth, A7X, Ozzy, HIM, Metallica (No Black Album), Bullet For My Valentine, Disturbed, n The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Tears For Fears, etc.

11. Chap Attack says:

Something that offends mothers!???!

Check this ::

Chap Attack by The Chaps http://www.myspace.com/thechaps/music/songs/chap-attack-3001711

1. HEY! YOU GUYS ALL RULE!
      Thank you for being fun.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX times 1,000,000,000

12. justin says:

Art of dying- get thru this, and play some awollnation not your fault and how bout some five finger death punch and maybe a lttle bit of Thrice too

13. ToddK says:

Nic—–the new USed sounds good, Can’t wait for the At the drive inn, Dead Sara got some stuff thats cool.. “Far” had an awesome record come out that went under the radar-(Deafening-great song) I heard a song off the new Tijuana Bullfight (from LA) record and it killed!! Also heard Hurt has something new. Here is to 2012 .

14. How about some Alt-Country/Americana/folk stuff:
    Trampled by Turtles – “Wait so Long”
    Joe Pug – “Bury Me Far From My Uniform”
    Justin Townes Earl – “Harlem River Blues”
    Old Crow Medicine Show – “Wagon Wheel”
    David Mayfield Parade – “I Just Might Pray”
    Sarah Jarosz – “Song Up In Her Head”
    Brandi Carlile – “Dying Day”
    David Wax Museum – “Born With a Broken Heart”
    Avett Brothers – “Head Full of Heart/Road Full of Promise”
    William Elliot Whitmore – “Hell or High Water”
    Matthew & The Atlas – “I Follow Fires”

Ok.. now for some rock:
    Against Me! – “Cliche Guevara”
    Titus Andronicus – “”A More Perfect Union”
    Gaslight Anthem – “The ’59 Sound”
    The Clash – “London Calling”
    Typhoon – “The Honest Truth”
    Fugazi – “Waiting Room”

Rap/Hip Hop
    Beastie Boys – “Make Some Noise”
    Childish Gambino – “Fire Fly”

Other:
    Jimmy Cliff – “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall”

1. Missed the “2 or 3” part of the assignment. Sorry.🙂

15. Anthony says:

This list is very very solid! Definitely cranking it up on the drive back to Anaheim.

1. System of a Down – A-I-E-A-E-O

2. Pantera – The Art of Shredding

3. The Doors – Five to One

16. brknghstgames says:

Howlin Rain – Phantom in the Valley – that’s some rock n roll

17. Bryan says:

EVERYTHING AFI!!!
    EVERYTHING BLAQK AUDIO!!!
    EVERYTHING Son Of Sam!!!
    Everything Tiger Army!!!
    Everything Nick 13 country album AMAZING!!!
    EVERYTHING RISE AGAINST!!! hahaha

But deff the AFI!!!

18. Acoustic_XMAS says:

This playlist is such an awesome idea! I’ve been really into music to unknown bands recently. I especially like Sleeping with Sirens, “Into the Sun” by Parlor Mob, Crash Kings, Bad Rabbits, and two Australian bands– Critics (especially “Wither and Die (I Hope it Eats You Alive)”) and the very Paramore-esque band Tonight Alive. I’m also shocked that the new Neon Trees song “Everybody Talks” isn’t getting more attention…

19. Bret Leduc says:

How about The Templars – Another Rebel

20. Guadanolo says:

christian death “romeos distress”

21. RC2012 says:

How about some and Garage Rock Revival (there goes your hard rock on KROQ right there)

New Shit LA 10’s Blues/Hard Rock:
    Rival Sons – Young Love

Old Skool Seattle 90’s Grunge:
    Mudhoney – Here Comes Sickness

Old Skool San Fransisco 70’s Punk :
    The Nuns- Do You Want Me On My Knees

22. edwin says:

These songs probably won’t offend moms but they are still great

Portugal the man – got it all
    The Airborne Toxic Event – gasoline
    Muse – time is running out

23. Chuen says:

Mostly old stuff… but here are a few of my faves for the mix:

Ministry – N.W.O.
    Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill
    Prong – Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck
    Sleigh Bells – Kids
    M83 – Teen Angst

24. Justin says:

AWOLNATION- Jump On My Shoulders
    The Airborne Toxic Event-Numb
    The Airborne Toxic Event- All I Ever Wanted
    Death Cab For Cutie-Doors Unlocked and Open
    Death Cab For Cutie- Monday Morning
    Middle Class Rut- Are You On Your Way?
    Mona- Listen To Your Love
    The Naked And Famous-No Way
    Neon Trees- Everybody Talks
    Foo Fighters- Dear Rosemary
    We Are Scientists- Nice Guys(these are played in the UK, and are an amazing band)
    All these are new and i think alot of them would be awesome if they played on the radio🙂

25. Mike says:

Here’s a few of my favorite songs.

Wolf People – Silbury Sands
    The Black Keys – Little Black Submarines
    Radio Moscow – Broke Down
    Murder City Devils – Get Off the Floor
    Dead Weather – Hustle and Cuss
    The Kills – Pull A U
    Black Mountain – Don’t Run Our Hearts Around

26. Luis Carrera says:

Hi Nicole! Personally I’d just play a bunch of radiohead lol but anyways here is what i got for you.

To offend people I’d say My God -pennywise

Bad ass rock sound? Myxomatosis -radiohead

And finally Dawn Of Victory -Rhapsody Of Fire

27. Dave says:

Hi Nicole, How about the Wombats, Moving to New York.

28. Avenged Sevenfold- God Hates Us
    blessthefall- To Hell & Back
    A Day To Remember- 2nd Sucks
    Travis Barker feat Corey Taylor- On My Own

wish you guys could play more of a variety of music like you used to! you know? just saying

29. Caroline says:

Well, I personally enjoy your sense of music; hopefully these bands will satisfy your ears.

Sia- “Breathe Me”

Beautiful Small Machines-“Counting Back To 1” or “Super Conducter”

We Were Promised Jetpacks- “Quiet Little Voices” or “Through The Dirt And The Gravel”

I know you only said two to three but I just cannot help myself. I’m a music junkie hehe.
    btw: could you recommend me some bands? please🙂

30. Andrew says:

Wolfmother- joker and the thief

The polyphonic spree- light and day

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs- honey bear

Givers- up, up, up

311- sunset in july

31. Charlotte says:

Brand New- Sink
    Thom Yorke- Skip Divided (Modeselektor Remix)
    St. Vincent- Marrow
    Walk off the Earth- Somebody That I used to Know (Gotye cover)

I don’t think any of those could offend mothers, but that does not take away from the fact that they are all incredibly awesome.

32. Rachel says:

Virgin-Manchester Orchestra
    Turn Off this Song and Go Outside-The Lonely Forest

33. Eros says:

so i looked through my ipod and basically looked for songs that make my car shake like a seizure and i found these musical-lollipops

scary kids scaring kids-free again
    A faylene sky- oh i’ll show you a nightmare
    The lonely forest(more for a mellow drive. kind of in the vein of death cab)- we sing in time
    the dear hunter(i give them two songs cuz, SO GOOD)- we’ve got a score to settle, and Mr.Malum(THAT WALTZ)
    Refused-The deadly Rhythm
    Frank Turner( if any one deserves to have his songs on the radio, it’s this guy)-long live the queen, (and a personal fave that’s just a awesome sing along) If ever i stray
    and that’s all i have. i hope you enjoy something off of my “amazing” selection🙂

34. ROMI says:

NICOLE YOU SEXY BEAST…..;p THROW IN SOME PENNYWISE…F-$# AUTHORITY..U KNO WE ALL DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE BULLSMACK LAWS R GOVERNMENT HAS MADE UP..SPEAKING OF PENNYWISE, BROHYMN IS CLASSIC R.I.P TO MY BROTHER BRYAN O. ALSO HAVE U HEARD OF A BAND CALLED HARLEM..SONG CALLED SOMEDAY SOON..ITS ADDICTING ..MAYBE HOLE DOLL PARTS IF U WANT TO ROLL IN THE DIRT NAKED…PEACE AND LOVE>>>>
    _ROMI

35. d navarro says:

your cat piss all over my face and it starts raining

36. ROMI says:

DAVE NAVARRO U SEXY BEAST.. IS THAT REALLY U????//UR SEXY MANNN I WAS FRONT ROW IN THE PIT BLOWING KISSES AT U WHILE U WERE FLIPPIN UR HAIR AROUND SMOKIN UR CIGSSS..I WANTED TO GET ON STAGE AND SMACK THAT A$$… ANYWHO I JUS WANTED TO SAY HIGH LUB YA BABYY🙂 O WUTSUP WITH THE CAT PISS ON UR FACE EXPLAIN O YEA MY FRIEND WAS ONE OF THE GIRLS WHO DRANK OUT OF PERRYS WINE BOTTLE SHE WAS TRIPPEN AFTERWARDS ASK HIM IF U PUT SOME ACID OR COCA COLA IN IT..