First of all, I would like to thank Sluggo for being the coolest. When he asked me to be he his guest and help celebrate Eddie Vedder’s birthday, well needless to say, I was beyond honored. So hey you, Sluggo! you rule.
I celebrate Eddie Vedder’s birthday every year, because, as far as I am concerned, that man is an angel. A bona fide saint.
I remember the first time I ever heard his voice. I was at Lollapalooza with a group of friends and they were all bitching and moaning about being tired and dirty and wanting to leave. Seeing as I was the minority and I had no other ride than this chick’s mom, I proceeded to walk out of the park with them. As we were about to cross the threshold of the exit, THAT is when it happened. The voice that has become my life-long voice of reason was introduced to me that day.
1. The song was, “State of Love and Trust” and as it raged from the Lollapalooza stage, it made its way to my ears and the thought of stepping foot out of that park with the rest of my friends, was suddenly not an option. That day, I turned around and as I made my way back to the band, I found my home.
That weekend they also played The Cameo Theater in Miami where I was living and with my cousin’s fake I.D., I made my way to the show that would set the course of the rest of my life.
Here is actual footage of “State of Love and Trust” from that show:
2. While “State of Love and Trust” was the song that started it all for me, THE most perfect [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Pearl Jam[/lastfm] song in all of the land is “Yellow Ledbetter”. There is no more beautiful a sound, no more peaceful a melody, no more gorgeous a guitar solo, no man’s voice that can transcend all space and time like Eddie’s voice mumbling the ever-changing lyrics to “Yellow Ledbetter”. This is my idea of heaven:
Those 2 songs along with the man who sings them, are the loves of my life. However, there are a few other Pearl Jam videos that need mentioning due to their ability to rattle your core in the most delightful way:
3. “Black” MTV Unplugged:
4. “Alive” Live At The Pink Pop Festival 92′:
MY FAVORITE VIDEO EVER…
6. “Evenflow” Official Video:
8. “Do the Evolution”:
9. “Daughter/It’s OK”:
And a moment that I was part of and I will NEVER forget…
10. “Betterman” live at Madison Square Garden:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY EDWARD LOUIS SEVERSON III! or as we have come to know and love him, Eddie Vedder. My life is the very best place to be as long as you are singing me a song.
Thanks Sluggo! XOXO
Eddie Vedder’s birthday