From Hendrix To Social Distortion: Ten Covers That Are Better Than The Originals

Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit (Simone Joyner/Getty Images)

Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit (Simone Joyner/Getty Images)

I’m fully aware that I’m going to get slammed for this. That for every song on this list, someone will say, “SACRILEGE! THE ORIGINAL IS UNTOUCHABLE!” I give you this knowing that’s going to happen.

I also know that without the original, the cover wouldn’t exist. That, however, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t rather hear the cover.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Limp Bizkit[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Who[/lastfm]’s “Behind Blue Eyes”

Every time I tell someone I like this version better, a little part of them likes me a lot less. I’m sorry, at least I’m honest.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Jimi Hendrix[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Bob Dylan[/lastfm]’s “All Along The Watchtower”

To me, Jimi Hendrix could cover anything at all, and it’d be better than the original.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Guns N’ Roses[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Paul McCartney and Wings[/lastfm]’ “Live And Let Die”

Remember when Guns N’ Roses were good? That was awesome.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Metallica[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Bob Seger[/lastfm]’s “Turn The Page”

And an incredible video to go along with it.

Johnny Cash covers Nine Inch Nails’ “Hurt”

This is another with an incredible video. I’d say the video is what pushes this one over the top. Chilling.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Nirvana[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Lead Belly[/lastfm]’s “Where Did You Sleep Last Night”

You could almost fill this entire list with songs from Nirvana’s Unplugged.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Social Distortion[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Johnny Cash[/lastfm]’s “Ring Of Fire”

Since Johnny Cash covering someone else was on the list, I thought it was only fair. *As Sully points out, Johnny Cash actually covered it in the first place, his wife’s sister recorded it originally.*

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Hanson[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Infant Sorrow[/lastfm]’s “Furry Walls”

Hanson covering a song by a fake band from a Russell Brand movie? Awesome.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Green Day[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Operation Ivy[/lastfm]’s “Knowledge”

To think most people at a Green Day concert these days weren’t even alive when this cover came out is crazy.

[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Ryan Adams[/lastfm] covers [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Oasis[/lastfm]’ “Wonderwall”

I didn’t discover this one until a couple years back, and I’d almost always rather hear this one.

1. Leslie says:

I totally agree!!!

2. Leslie says:

I agree again.

3. Leslie says:

It’s to slow but good.

4. todd says:

Pretty decent list. The Ryan Adams version sucks in my opinion, and im not a Oasis fan but the original is WAY better. Im glad im not the only one who LOVES Limp Bizkits “Behind Blue Eyes”, and the Nirvana cover is AMAZING. But Hanson? come on…why even put these fudge-packers on this list? there are THOUSANDS of better covers to waste your time with Hanson. Want an amazing cover?? check out the band Dope and their cover of “F*** The Police” from N.W.A or another great cover is Seethers version of “Careless Whisper” from WHAM!! yes THAT wham!! from the 80s

1. mike says:

yeah i can’t stand that ryan adams cover

5. Say What? says:

In my opinion, Social D’s “Ring of Fire” is NOT in any way shape or form better than Cash’s original. Great cover, but no way better. Also, the greatest cover of all time may be Sinead O’Connor’s cover of Prince’s “Nothing Compares 2 U.” She blew the original out of the water. In fact, it has become the de facto version of the song. A lot of people don’t even realize it’s a cover.

6. Leskwyre says:

I know some other good covers

Godhead – Eleanor Rigby (Beatles)
    RA – Everything She Does is Magic (Police)
    Five Finger Death Punch – From out of Nowhere (Faith No More)

7. JD says:

Hansan? Ryan Adams!?! but no MUSE(feeling good)!?!?!?!

8. Jimmy says:

This list has some good songs and I agree with most but some other good covers, Polecats doing Desire by U2, Kevin Gilbert doing Kashmire by Led Zeppelin, and the Blue Man Group with Tracey Bohnam doing Baba O’Reily by the Who. This song live is better than the Who.

9. Jimmy says:

One other, Simple Minds doing Biko by Peter Gabriel.

10. J says:

What! No mention of foo fighter’s Darling Nikki (originaly by prince)? It may not be better covers but, anything off of Garage Days by Metallica covering everyone from Misfits to Diamond head. No Doubt also did well with the remake of Talk Talk’s “It’s My Life”.

11. Russ says:

Hard to believe you’d include Hanson covering anything, yet miss the amazing cover of ‘Sabbath Bloody Sabbath’ by Anthrax. Far superior to the original. The JC cover of NIN is a pretty nice pick. Soc-D covering JC is a wash as I like them equally but in different ways. Fiona Apple’s cover of that Beatles song (name escapes me right now) is better than the original as well.

12. Thomas says:

for those that don’t know, A Day To Remember has covered two songs in their career, putting their own pop-punk/hardcore spin on it and they are both phenomenal. Hopefully as they move up the ranks of KROQ concert line-ups they’ll have a long enough set to share them with you
    Kelly Clarkson’s “Since you’ve been gone”
    The Fray’s “Cable Car (Over my Head)”
    check ’em out!!

13. Johnny says:

How about Blue Monday by Orgy back in ’98? That’s GOTTA beat that terrible Wonderwall cover….

14. Fiesta1234 says:

Framing Hanley’s cover of Lollipop may be a different style of music from the original, but it is SO much better than the Lil’ Wayne version! Plus that video…. awesome!.