KROQ Weenie Roast 2011 Live Blog

linkin park KROQ Weenie Roast 2011 Live Blog

If you didn’t make it out to the show this year, don’t worry, we’ll keep you up to date on everything that goes down here at Weenie Roast with band interviews, photos and more in the live blog!

Update: Who could possibly top a surprise Foo Fighters show?! Luckily Linkin Park doesn’t need any help commanding everyone’s attention back to them.

10:19: Already ecstatic from the Foos, the crowd flipped once that familiar Chester screech blared through the speakers for “Papercut.” Can you say “Foo Fighters who?” It’s all about Linkin Park right now!

foo fighters KROQ Weenie Roast 2011 Live Blog

8:59: SURPRISE!! The Foos are here! The Foos are here!! It’s Dave Grohl and crew of the Foo Fighters live in the flesh taking the stage for a surprise performance to hundreds of screaming fans! Watch behind-the-scenes footage to see how it all went down.

8:22: I think everyone in the vendor area sprinted to their seats once Albert Hammond Jr. of The Strokes strummed the intro to “12:51.”  Everyone was out of their seats dancing the entire set, and the band didn’t even miss a beat despite a “dying mic.”

The energy stayed high for the stage turn to reveal Rise Against, who always deliver a high-kicking (literally…seriously, how does Zach Blair kick that high?) show!

7:30: [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Strokes[/lastfm] are running a tad behind schedule (unless Julian Casablancas’ voice suddenly sounds like Axl Rose), but I’m still shaking from Bad Religion’s set to even care.

There’s just something about seeing these hometown heroes live, no matter how many times you see them in a huge venue or tiny little club, that is so exciting and different each time. Bad Religion still rules L.A. after all these years.

6:29: A Day To Remember kicked it up a notch with their heavy breakdowns and played a little beach volleyball with the crowd during their set.

Matt Shultz from Cage The Elephant can’t be tamed and threw one hell of a show of his own. The dude even leaped into the pit and got wild with the fans! He has the most insane amount of energy I’ve ever seen, damn they put on a great show.

5:54: Face To Face just kicked off the main stage performances and rocked the crowd with their punk hits “Disconnected” and dedicated “It’s Not All About You” to our very own Stryker!

5:13: Counting down the minutes until the main stage acts start and killing some time backstage before [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Face To Face[/lastfm] start. You never know who you’ll run into back there while watching Kat Corbett broadcast live, like the drummer from [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]A Day To Remember[/lastfm], Tim Armstrong from [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Rancid[/lastfm], Tony Kanal from [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]No Doubt[/lastfm], the guys of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Bad Religion[/lastfm] and Hayley Williams from [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Paramore[/lastfm]!

Oh, and make sure you check out Jed the Fish’s interview with Foster The People:

4:30: Check out Kevin and Bean’s interview with Airborne Toxic Event!

4:09: Foster The People showed the crowd a good time and got the entire sun-baked (and possibly half-baked) crowd to throw their hands in the air and sing along to their mega-hit “Pumped Up Kicks.”

But what’s this…Lykke Li‘s a no-show? To much of the crowd’s disappointment, the Swedish indie singer got sick last-minute and had to cancel, but fortunately Airborne Toxic Event picked up the slack for an incredible show that’s the highlight of Weenie Roast so far.

There were so many good parts it’s impossible to pick a favorite, but their high-energy set included stage dives, lead singer Mikel Jollett walking into the crowd, a cover of “I Fought The Law” and some much appreciated freebie Gatorade and water thrown into the sea of dehydrated fans. Needless to say, The Bud Light Stage 2 is on fire.

wr2011 young the giantby faith ann young 71 KROQ Weenie Roast 2011 Live Blog

Photo by Faith-Ann Young

2:40:  Irvine natives [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Young The Giant[/lastfm] just pumped up the crowd with their feel-good rock that had all the fedora-wearing alt-girls swoon and sway to their energizing music. Lead singer Sameer Gadhia had the first party foul of the day, spilling his beer on stage…and it’s only 2:40.

Now we’re heading back to crowd with all the other kids with the pumped up kicks for our L.A. boys [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Foster the People[/lastfm]!

1:30: The doors have finally opened and the hardcore fans are already staking out their place out in front of Bud Light stage 2 for [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Young The Giant[/lastfm] to start!

We’re just as excited for the show to start as you, and it’s never too early to arrive for a jam-packed day of shows from the best rock bands around! The “twitterverse” is already blowing up about @KROQ‘s Weenie Roast…let’s do this.

12:00: The crews are working hard with last-minute preparations for Weenie Roast 2011. We’re sitting here listening to some of the bands sound checking, and damn does it sound amazing!

Comments

1. Israel says:

I cant find my weenies for my hot dog buns for the car ride

2. richard sideleau says:

So are the Foo Fighters going to do a surprise gig at the Weenie Roast??

3. Aaron says:

My wife and I are heading to the show right now. She’s a huge strokes fan, and she reluctantly came down for the show tonight. Her dad is recovering from surgery and it’s been tough. Marisa , father David Hunter in everyones thoughts tonight.

4. Alison says:

Luving the weenie fest from phx, az!!
    woohoo!

5. chancey says:

will this be played again if you happen to miss a band from before??

6. greg brady says:

cant seem to get stream going???? waz up with that

7. Bmuse says:

Great show so far!!

8. gina says:

Up in the nose bleed….and audio is kind of low…still a great concert.

9. Jenn says:

Please tell me the cameras aren’t going to show all of Linkin Park’s set in black & white!!!!!

1. Lightning | KROQ.com says:

That’s per the band’s request. All of their shows this year have been in Black and White.

1. Rob says:

EPIC Fail! It was just as bad a decision as their latest album.

10. Mike says:

Verizon amphitheatre is killing Linkin Park’s set! They need to crank up the volume!!

1. Dana says:

What a waste. You couldn’t hear their set up in the lawn area. People left the concert early in droves.

11. Otof says:

As one of the attendees at the Weenie Roast Concert 2011, I have the following things to say:

1) Rise Against did great.
    2) Foo Fighters was an awesome surprise guest.
    3) Linkin Park turned out terrible.

Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love Linkin Park, and I own all of the albums. I’ve been to 2 of Linkin Park’s concerts before, and they were absolutely, unarguably superb. But, this time, the sound quality was unbearable. I don’t know who messed it up, but the microphone was too soft, and occasionally cut in and out. The guitar was suddenly loud and soft, randomly. It was a nightmare, and I went to Weenie Roast specifically for Linkin Park. Lots of other people left early for the same reasons that I did. I’m still a fan of Linkin Park, but I’m just very disappointed today.

12. Rachyll says:

What happened with LP last night… Not there greatest show!! Foo fighters had better stage presence than LP!! Common Chester!!

13. heathenstephen says:

The webcast was very disappointing for me here is Torrance–the stream was horrible when Linkin Park was on. I tried to watch but it was just a bunch of gibberish and I had to just turn it of๐Ÿ˜ฆ

14. Spencer says:

I saw Davy Grohl watching Foster the People backstage and me and my friend took too long to decide it was him and get his autograph! uuugh RAGE! All imma say is the show ended with the Foos. nuff said.

15. YO! says:

No one can top The Foo Fighters! Linkin Park tried but did not succeed. I kinda felt bad for them. But The Foo Fighters KILLED it!

16. Rob says:

The webcast for Linkin Park was pathetic! I thought I was watching a live concert not a DVD recorded show from the 60’s. WTF was with the black and white crap? The sound sucked too and it really made them look bad and just solidified Foo Fighters are the real headliner!

17. Carmen says:

I’ve been a huge LP fans for years now and was very disappointed last night with the performance. We couldn’t hear crap!! Been to plenty of their concerts and they do NOT sound like that. Thanks to whomever butchered the sound!

18. Nancy says:

What happened with linkin park lightning? They sounded horrible. I was so disappointed, they were the main reason why I went to the weenie roast. I’ve been to many of their earlier concerts and they were great. The sound was just horrible so we just left. It wasn’t worth the long wait. Terrible. Ya the foo fighters were awesome along with neon trees and a day to remember. Neon trees should have been on the main stage.

1. dave says:

i was at the show as well.. linkin park sounded awful… kroq was great putting foo fighters on as surprise guest but they completely upstaged LP… never saw so many people leave in a middle of a LP set… we left too… it was pretty bad sound and overall set list…

19. Tessa says:

WHY oh why, did KROQ post that we could bring in a sealed water bottle and food in a clear zip bag??!!

I was forced to return the stuff back to my car since the Amphitheater would not let that stuff in!

BOO!

1. Dana says:

I know! That was very upsetting. I spend money on packing four nice bags of food for us attending. Sure I got to return the food to the car, but in the heat it all spoiled. Nice waste of money.

20. Tessa says:

Did anyone notice that the projection screen (behind the band) was not down far enough during Linkin Park’s set? I could see everything going on backstage when they were singing. It was worse when the stage wasdark, because backstage was light. So, I was watching the Foo Fighters putting away their equipment, during Linkin Park!! Very distracting!.

21. Sam says:

So this turned out to be NOT TRUE-
    Allowed: One sealed bottle of water (up to 20 oz.), food in a clear, plastic one gallon sandwich bag.
    I had to return my food to my car. I am vegan and the only food choices inside were french fries and kettle corn! Not exactly healthy. If KROQ, or the venue, are not going to allow food then please OFFER SOME VEGETARIAN FOOD CHOICES. Thank you.